Saturday, May 12, 2018

Book Review: Lipstick on the Strawberry by Margaret Ann Spence

Note: This is my review on the book LIPSTICK ON THE STRAWBERRY. I have posted more details about the book here.

Review

Rating: 4 Stars
Lipstick on the Strawberry is a nice enjoyable read. A part of the story was spent on food and kitchen, but there are other parts of the story that will keep even non kitchen fanatics entertained.
The story is written from the first person point of view, so we are mainly in the heroine's head. Camilla is British but is now living on American soil, having followed her husband over to his country. Unfortunately, their marriage didn't last long, so she focused all her time and attention into her catering business. I enjoyed reading about the food she cooked and the challenges she faced in her business.
I find Camilla's character really believable--she sure knows food and her way around the kitchen, definitely much more than me. She was also quite down to earth and reacted in an understandable manner on various stresses in the story. As a character, Camilla exhibited growth with regard to her relationships with her siblings as certain truths came to light and her realization as to where she wanted to be near toward the end of the book.
I also enjoyed reading on her relationships with Billy and Jake. Her relationships with both were also written well. In fact, I couldn't wait to find out who she'd end up with, as both men were nice and seemed equally entranced with her.
Lastly, I find the mystery in the story quite good. However, perhaps my only reservation is that I didn't think it deserved the center stage attention that the author seems to want to give it. Perhaps if there were more meat/conflict, it would've made the story better.
Overall, a nice read. A 4 star rating for me! Well done!

0 comments :

Post a Comment