Thursday, May 10, 2018

Book Review: The Agreement by Linda Burson

Yesterday, I posted an overview of The Agreement by Linda Burson. To check it out, click here. I've had the pleasure of writing a review for the book! Read on.

My Review

The Agreement is the 4th book in the Marcy series, and in my opinion, it cannot be read as a standalone. But let me get into that later.
Here are my reflections on the book:
  • It's great to see Marcy having a big support network of family and friends. Rarely do we see that in books, but it's quite realistic as we are surrounded by a bevy of people, and not just one or two.
  • Series fans would be thrilled to see Marcy and Brad finally tying the knot and starting their life together. Here's where I wished I could have read the earlier books in the series, as I think it would make me appreciate their relationship more.
  • The story is written in first person of view--Marcy's--and therefore, it's easy to get into the story. The story flows well and is easy to read.
  • I love the twists and turns in this book, and the revelation about a certain person was certainly a shock. The resulting resolution was non-conventional but fitting. Thumbs up!
To balance out the views, here are some points that I felt could be improved upon on the story:
  • The Agreement cannot be read as a standalone. It's best to read the previous books in the series first before coming to this book. The reason is because in several places, it referenced things that happened in the previous books and the resolution only happening in this book. For example, the first time Marcy met with her huge family and friends, I was left bewildered -- who's Brad's parents? Who are Marcy's parents? Names are dropped without giving a reference that could've helped the reader place who is who for a better understanding of the story.
  • I felt a good editor may help enhance the final version of the story. For example, the book is not tightly plotted, as there are some scenes that I felt could be cut or shortened.
Overall, I'm giving The Agreement 4 Stars. A nice book to read on a lazy afternoon.

0 comments :

Post a Comment